AlienVault Broadens Open Threat Exchange Initiative
Unified Security Management provider expands OTX initiative to provide free threat intelligence tools, projects, services and access to experts
San Mateo, Calif. – (July 31, 2013) – AlienVault, the leading provider of Unified Security Management™ solutions and crowd-sourced threat intelligence, today announced the expansion of the AlienVault Open Threat Exchange™ (OTX) to now include all of the company’s open and collaborative community activities to better serve security professionals on the front lines of cyber security defense and incident response.
“Good security measures should be within the reach of all enterprises, yet often, small to mid-market organizations cannot afford the tools and threat intelligence information that is available to large enterprises and federal governments,” said Barmak Meftah, President and CEO of AlienVault. “Today, we re-launch OTX as an even broader initiative to provide free resources, projects, services and threat intelligence to IT security professionals with the goal to unify efforts to combat the ever-increasing malicious threats that plague organizations.”
The broader OTX initiative will now serve as an open and collaborative community for security professionals to connect with their peers, find free tools for security monitoring, and learn about the latest threats and defensive tactics from industry experts and security researchers. As part of delivering this rich security intelligence, OTX now consists of the following elements:
- AlienVault OTX Reputation Monitor™ - The industry’s only open and collaborative threat intelligence system. AlienVault’s OTX Reputation Monitor is the largest, crowd-sourced repository for threat information around the world. The OTX Reputation Monitor can be leveraged by security professionals in 2 ways:
- OTX Reputation Monitor in USM or OSSIM™: tracks the reputation of those interacting with assets inside your organization through AlienVault’s Unified Security Management platform or OSSIM product interface (see which of your internal systems are connecting to known malicious IPs) so you can prioritize and respond to alarms that identify known cyber criminals and attackers.
- OTX Reputation Monitor AlertSM: Also announced today, a free service to monitor the reputation of your own external IP assets.
- AlienVault OTX Services – free services (including OTX Reputation Monitor Alert) for security professionals who join the AlienVault Open Threat Exchange.
- AlienVault OTX Forum – an interactive online information exchange where security professionals can actively connect with peers to ask and answer security operations questions, find out information about security products, and discuss threat mitigation strategies.
- AlienVault OTX Learning Center – an online knowledge base with hundreds of “how to” videos and documents on implementing security monitoring using AlienVault USM and OSSIM, as well as basics on security intelligence and incident response.
- AlienVault OTX Projects – open source projects focused on collaborative threat intelligence and incident response. Specifically, AlienVault’s open source project, OSSIM, where contributors and users can download the worlds most widely used open source SIEM product and contribute to the OSSIM project.
- AlienVault OTX Labs Blog – AlienVault Labs’ insightful security research on emerging global threats and vulnerabilities. Includes articles that share the latest threat analysis as well as techniques on identifying them.
OTX is free to any OSSIM user or AlienVault customer who chooses to participate. To join, visit www.alienvault.com/open-threat-exchange.