1. - Industry standard open source software - I don’t care who you are, if you are in IT or Security, you have heard of Snort, Nagios, ntop, etc.
2. - Support - I wanted something that was supported by people who were proud of their product and who actually care about it’s success.
3. - It works! - Issues with getting the hardware aside, the performance and stability of OSSIM is either on par or beyond other commercial products
4. - Time to implement - We got the systems up and going in our production environment in 2 days, the tuning is ongoing, but it was exceptionally quick to implement.
5. - Personal attention - Being supported by Dom and Santi, the guys who have been with the project since inception was a huge thing for me, they obviously care deeply about the company and it’s customers.
6. - Cost - The cost of entry into the SIEM arena for most companies is a huge barrier, with OSSIM, that barrier has been all but removed.
7. - Your daughter being a bad-ass hockey player was cool! (you can quote me on this one!) :o)