Importing Users from a CSV File
USM Anywhere enables you to import users from a CSV or text file. Use this option to add users in large quantities to your environment from a single file. User information added this way supersedes user information from other sources but will not remove any preexisting information about any users in your environment.
Warning: If the file does not follow the specific format, the users will not be successfully imported. See About the CSV File for more information.
To import users from a CSV file
- Go to Environment > Users.
- Click Actions > Import Users to open the Import Users dialog box.
Note: If a user in your CSV or text file shares an email address with an existing user behavior analytics (UBA) user, then all fields from your file will be added to that existing user's entry. Where both the existing user and your file's entry have information in a field, the fields will be combined, with the file's information becoming the new primary.
- Drop your file or select the file from your desktop.
Once you select a file, the name of the file displays and the Import button is active.
- Click Import to start the process.
You can see the status of the process, how many users have been processed or are pending, or which users were not imported. In the About the CSV File section, there is a table where you can see the import errors and the reasons for which a user has not been imported.
Note: When an import process starts and finishes, USM Anywhere generates system events. See Searching for System Events Related to a User Import Process for more information.
About the CSV File
The CSV file must use this format; no other fields are allowed:
User Name;User Email;Manager Name;Office Location;Phone Number;Description
Important: Do not include a header line in the CSV file because it will result in an error of invalid format.
You need to provide at minimum a username and user email valid for USM Anywhere. All other fields are optional.
Please note the following:
- There must be only one user per row.
- You can import all the files you need, but only one at a time.
- The maximum number of lines in the CSV file is 100,000.
- The maximum size of the CSV file is 25 MB.
Searching for System Events related to a User Import Process
USM Anywhere generates system events when an import process starts and finishes.
To look for system events related to an import process
- Go to Settings > System Events.
- Locate the Event Name filter.
- Select one of these filters:
- User Import Process Finished: This option displays the system events generated when the user import process from a CSV file finishes.
- User Import Process Started: This option displays the system events generated when the user import process from a CSV file starts.
The result of your search is displayed.