USM Anywhere has a modular and scalable two-tier architecture.
Tier 1 — USM Anywhere Sensors and Agents
USM Anywhere Sensors Sensors are deployed into an on-premises, cloud, or multi-cloud environment to collect log and other security-related data. This data is normalized and then securely forwarded to USM Anywhere for analysis and correlation. deploy natively into each environment and help you gain visibility into all of your on-premises and cloud The use of many computers connected over a network to run multiple programs or applications at the same time, instead of running them on a local device or network. environments. Sensors collect and normalize logs, monitor networks and collect information about the environments and assets deployed in your hybrid environments.
Sensors are a key component of the USM Anywhere solution. They operate either on-premises or in the cloud, performing the following tasks:
- Discovering your assets An IP-addressable host, including but not limited to network devices, virtual servers, and physical servers..
- Scanning assets for vulnerabilities A known issue or weakness in a system, procedure, internal control, software package, or hardware that could be used to compromise security..
- Monitoring Process of collecting all device status and event information and processing normalized events for evidence of vulnerabilities, possible attacks, and other malicious activity. packets on your networks and collecting data.
- Collecting log data and normalizing Normalization describes the translation of log file entries received from disparate types of monitored assets into the standardized framework of Event types and sub-types. it before securely sending it to USM Anywhere.
USM Anywhere Agents deploy on your network host and provide the following:
- Endpoint detection and response
- Network asset monitoring
- File integrity monitoring (FIM)
- Log collection
Tier 2 — USM Anywhere Cloud
The USM Anywhere cloud instance is deployed in one of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) endpoint regions based on your location. The following table lists the available AWS regions:
|ap-northeast-1||Asia Pacific (Tokyo)|
|ap-south-1||Asia Pacific (Mumbai)|
|ap-southeast-2||Asia Pacific (Sydney)|
|sa-east-1||South America (São Paulo)|
|us-east-1||US East (N. Virginia)|
|us-west-2||US West (Oregon)|
|us-gov-west-1||AWS GovCloud (US-West)|
USM Anywhere receives data from USM Anywhere Sensors and uses it to provide essential security capabilities in a single SaaS platform:
- Centralized system security management
- Log data analysis and correlation Correlation identifies potential security threats by identifying relationships between multiple types of events occurring in two or more assets.
- Log management
USM Anywhere also retains raw logs long-term for forensic investigations and compliance mandates.