With the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR, USM Anywhere can send a request to Carbon Black EDR to isolate an endpoint instantly — through a user-executed action or an automated rule — to coordinate threat detection and response in a single action. The bidirectional capabilities of the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR enable USM Anywhere to incorporate data from Carbon Black (see Collecting Logs from Carbon Black EDR) into its threat analysis and orchestrate response actions by passing compromised endpoints identified by USM Anywhere to Carbon Black EDR.
Important: Using the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR orchestration actions require that the AlienApp is enabled on a deployed USM Anywhere Sensor with a configured integration to the Carbon Black EDR API. See Configuring the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR for more information.
As USM Anywhere surfaces events Any traffic or data exchange detected by AT&T Cybersecurity products through a sensor or external devices such as a firewall. and alarms Alarms provide notification of an event or sequence of events that require attention or investigation., your team determines which items require a response action from the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR. Rather than manually isolating an affected endpoint within Carbon Black EDR, you can use the orchestration actions to respond to threats identified in the event or alarm. The following table lists the available actions from the AlienApp.
Isolate hosts from an alarm
Run this app action directly from an alarm to send a request to Carbon Black EDR to isolate the associated endpoint(s).
Isolate hosts from an orchestration rule
Run this app action in an orchestration rule to send a request to Carbon Black EDR to isolate the associated endpoint(s) for future events that trigger the rule.
To view information about these actions in USM Anywhere
- In USM Anywhere, go to Data Sources > AlienApps.
- Click the Available Apps tab.
- Search for the AlienApp, and then click the tile.
- Click the Actions tab to display information for the supported actions.
- Click the History tab to display information about the executed orchestration actions.
Launch Actions from USM Anywhere
If you want to apply an action In USM Anywhere you can execute an action from alarms, events, and vulnerabilities to run a scan, get forensic information, or execute a response for a configured AlienApp. to similar events that occur in the future, you can also create orchestration rules directly from an action applied to an alarm, event, or vulnerability.
Note: Before launching a Carbon Black EDR action, the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR must be enabled and configured. See Configuring the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR for more information.
To launch a Carbon Black EDR action for an alarm
- Go to Activity > Alarms.
- Click the alarm to open the alarm details.
Click Select Action.
In the Select Action dialog box, select the Carbon Black tile.
This displays the options for the selected response app.
- (Optional.) If you have more than one sensor where the AlienApp for Carbon Black EDR is enabled and configured, select the sensor that you want to use to execute the action.
Select the Location to be isolated.
- Source: Use this option to isolate the source endpoint of the alarm.
- Destination: Use this option to isolate the destination endpoint of the alarm.
- Any: Use this option to let the system search for the Carbon Black endpoints using the IP addresses in the alarm and isolate those that are identified.
After USM Anywhere initiates the action, a confirmation dialog box displays:
If you want to create a rule to apply the action to similar items that occur in the future, click Create rule for similar alarms and define the new rule. If not, click OK.